Sunday, October 6, 2013

Many Families Missing Loved Ones

There was a protest following a public talk at the University of Khartoum today. Though students tried to leave the campus, the protest was quickly quelled with tear gas. Radio Dabanga reported that security troops in uniform and in plain clothes, carrying electrical batons and firearms, prevented students from leaving the campus.

Dr. Samar Mirghani was to be tried today for speaking on Al Arabiya network about being beaten while detained by security forces. The trial, set for 9:00 this morning, Khartoum time, was delayed. This is typical of such trials, with some being delayed four or five times.

Many other protesters are being tried in courts, as well. In Haj Yousif, Khartoum North courts, some female protesters are being accused of "ululating during a protest."

Many activists remained detained at unknown locations. This image has been posted on social media sites calling for the release of the detainees.

(UPDATE) Late this evening, Khartoum time, news came that Dalia El Roubi, Rayan Shakir, and Amel Habbani were released from custody.

Pictured below is Mohammed Salah Ahmed Elfil, a 19 year old student at UMST who is missing. He was late coming home on Thursday evening. At 11 p.m., his brother received a text message saying Mohammed was having trouble finding transport and was getting a ride with pick up truck driver who would take him part of the way. His brother was suspicious of the message and called him, but found Mohammed's phone was off. A few hours later, Mohammed's brother received another message from him saying he was in a dark place, but that he was okay. Again, when his brother tried to call, he found the phone was off. His family looked for him over the next couple of days, even contacting NISS security forces who said they had not detained him. Since this is a common first response, they continued to ask and NISS eventually admitted having detained him for protesting. Saturday morning, the family received a call from Mohammed on an unfamiliar number saying he was okay. In the evening, they called NISS again to ask Mohammed's whereabouts and were told he had been released at 5:00 p.m. and that they had had no further contact with him. Until now, Mohammed is still missing. The family cannot explain the messages they received or the information they received from NISS.

Click here to view This is Our Homeland, a beautiful video, subtitled in English, explaining the hardships and oppression that have led people to protest.

Many protests in support of Sudan protesters were held yesterday including this one in Manchester, UK:

And this one outside the Sudanese embassy in Washington, D.C., USA.

And this one in Berlin:

The New York Times published this article today, a humanizing piece about the protests and martyr Salah Sanhouri.

This heartbreaking video, Martyr Salah Sanhouri, not subtitled, has been making the rounds on social media sites. It contains video of the demonstration in which Salah Sanhouri was killed, including footage of Salah demonstrating peacefully, singing the Sudanese national anthem, and his friend describing the events surrounding the killing of Salah Sanhouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment